How to make a footpit in the word
Footnotes in Microsight Word is something like comments or notes that can be placed in a text document, both on any pages (conventional footnotes) and at the very end (end footnotes). Why do you need it? First of all, to collaborate and / or check the tasks or when writing a book, when the author or editor needs to make an explanation of a particular word, the term, phrase.
Imagine someone threw you a text document MS Word, which you should view, check and, if necessary, change something. But how to be if you want this "something" changed the author of the document or any other person? How to be in cases when you just need to leave some note or explanation, for example, in scientific work or book, without climbing the contents of the entire document? It is for this that the footnotes are needed, and in this article we will tell about how to put foots in Word 2010 - 2016, as well as in earlier versions of the product.
Note: The instruction in this article will be shown on the example of Microsoft Word 2016, but it also applies to the previous versions of the program. Some items may differ visually, they may have a slightly different name, but the meaning and content of each step is almost identical.
Adding conventional and end footnotes
Using footnotes in the Word, you can not only provide explanations and leave comments, but also add links for text in a printed document (often, the links are used for links).
Note: Wanting to add a list of references to the text document, use commands to create sources and links. You can find them in the tab "Links" on the toolbar, group "Links and lists of literature" .
Conventional and end footnotes in MS Word are numbered automatically. For all of the document, you can use a common numbering scheme or you can create different schemes for each individual partition.
Commands needed to add conventional and end footnotes, as well as to edit them, are located in the tab. "Links" , Group "Footnotes" .
Note: The numbering of footnotes in the Word varies automatically when adding, deleting or moved. If you see that footnotes in the document are numbered incorrectly, most likely, the document contains corrections. These fixes must be taken, after which ordinary and end footnotes will be correctly numbered again.
1. Click the left mouse button in the place where you wish to add a footnote.
2. Go to the tab "Links" , Group "Footnotes" And add a regular or end footnote by clicking on the appropriate item. The footnote sign will be located in the desired place. The footnote itself will be at the bottom of the page if it is usual. The end footnote will be located at the end of the document.
For greater amenities, use Keyboard shortcuts : "Ctrl + Alt + F" - adding a conventional footnote, "Ctrl + Alt + D" - Adding end.
3. Enter the desired footnote text.
4. Click twice on the footnote icon (usual or end) to return to its sign in the text.
5. If you want to change the location of the footnote or its format, open the dialog box "Footnotes" On the MS Word control panel and perform the necessary action:
- To convert conventional footnotes to end, as the opposite, in the group "Position" Select the desired type: "Footnotes" or "End footnotes" then click "Replace" . Click "OK" To confirm.
- To change the numbering format, select the desired formatting: "Number format" — "Apply" .
- To change the standard numbering and install your own sign for the footnote instead, click on "Symbol" And choose what you need. Existing signs of footnotes will remain unchanged, and the new sign will be applied exclusively to new footnotes.
How to change the initial configuration value?
Conventional footnotes are numbered automatically, starting with the numbers "one" , end - starting with the letter "I" followed by "II" , then "III" etc. In addition, wanting to do in the Word to the footnote at the bottom of the page (ordinary) or at the end of the document (terminal), you can also set any other initial value, that is, install another digit or letter.
1. Call the dialog box in the tab "Links" , Group "Footnotes" .
2. Select the desired initial value in the field. "Begin with" .
3. Apply Changes.
How to create a notice of continuation of footnote?
Sometimes it happens that the footnote does not fit on the page, in which case you need to add a notice of its continuation so that the person who will read the document will be aware that the footnote is not completed.
1. In the tab "View" Turn on the mode "Draft" .
2. Go to the tab "Links" and in the group "Footnotes" Choose "Show footnotes" And then specify the type of footnotes (ordinary or end) you want to show.
3. In the footnote list that appears, click "Notification of the continuation of the footnote" ("Notification of the continuation of the terminal footnote" ).
4. Enter the text that is required to notify the continuation in the footnotes.
How to change or remove a footnote separator?
Text content of the document is separated from footnotes, both conventional and end, horizontal line (footnote separator). In the case when the footnotes go to another page, the line becomes longer (the separation separator). In Microsoft Word, you can configure these separators by adding pictures or text to them.
1. Turn on the draft Chernovka mode.
2. Return to the tab "Links" and press "Show footnotes" .
3. Select the type of separator you want to change.
4. Select the desired separator and make the appropriate changes.
- To remove the separator, just click "Delete" .
- To change the separator, select the appropriate line from the collection of pictures or simply enter the desired text.
- To restore the default separator, press "Reset" .
How to remove a footnote?
If the footnote you no longer need you and you want to remove it, remember that you need to delete not the text of the footnote, but its character. After the footnote sign, and with it, the footnote itself with all the contents will be deleted, the automatic numbering is to change, fed to the missing item, that is, it will become correct.
On this all, now you know how to insert a footnote in Word 2003, 2007, 2012 or 2016, as well as in any other version. We hope this article for you was useful and will help noticeably simplify the interaction with documents in the product from Microsoft, whether it is work, study or creativity.We are glad that you could help you solve the problem.
Describe what you did not work. Our specialists will try to answer as quickly as possible.
Will this article help you?WELL NO
If you dealt with writing a book or article, then surely have already managed to encounter a situation where you need to explain something written in your text, or, for example, to make a list of sources. In this case, the facilities are best suited, which are present in the Microsoft Word functionality. How to put footnotes, you will learn after reading this article.
How to put a footnote in the Word
Dimension of footnotes
First, let's look at what fellows are. They are two species:
- Conventional footnotes. They are at the end of the page on which they are located. You can often observe them in the works of fiction, especially old, when the editor carefully explains the reader the meaning of the words used during the writing of the book;
Conventional footnotes We can find at the end of the page
- Trailer footnotes. They are located at the end of the document or its partition. Most often used in scientific publications as a list of the list of sources used. You can watch them in any article in Wikipedia in the "Notes" section.
Example of end footnotes
Now, when the theoretical part is finished, let's move immediately to practice.
How to insert the usual footpath
To add a regular footnote, follow further instructions:
- Mouse over the place where you need to insert a footnote, and press the left button. So you post the cursor to the place you need.
We bring the mouse to the place where we want to insert a footnote, press the left button
- In the Microsoft Word ribbon, open the "Links" tab by clicking on it with the left mouse button.
Open the "Links" tab by clicking on it with the left mouse button
- Click on "Insert a footnote".
Click on the "Insert footnote" tab
- Enter the text that will be displayed on the footnote you added. It is done.
We enter the text that will be displayed on the added footnote.
On a note! You can also add a regular footnote by pressing the ALT + CTRL + F key combination.
How to insert a terminal foot
The process of adding an end footnote runs similarly to the usual footnote, with the only difference that it will be added to the end of the document, and not the pages, as mentioned earlier. To insert the terminal footnotes, do further steps:
- Move the cursor to the place where you want to add a footnote (if you do not know how to do it, then see paragraph 1 of the previous instruction).
Move the cursor to the place where we want to add a footnote
- Open tab «Links »in ribbon.
Open the "Links" tab
- Press «Insert an end footnote. "
Click on "insert a terminal footnote"
- Enter the text of the terminal footpath. Ready.
We enter the text of the end footnote
On a note! To add an end footnote, a convenient combination of buttons - Alt + Ctrl + d is also provided.
You know how to insert footnotes. It's fine. You still will not hurt to know how to configure their display.
Setting up footnotes
To set up ordinary and end footnotes, do the following:
- Call the dialog box «Footnotes »tab «Links ».
Call the "Footnote" dialog box located in the "Links" tab
- Set up the display of footnotes to your discretion. You can configure the position of the footnings, the number and numbering format.
In the "Footnotes" window, we can customize the position of the footnotes, the number and numbering format
- Confirm the changes by pressing the "Apply" button.
Press the "Apply" button
On a note! What if you confused ordinary footnotes with the end, and noticed it too late? Delete them and insert again? Not at all, because the developers have provided such incidents and added a useful feature of the conversion function to their program.
Conversion of footnotes
To convert footnotes, follow the later step by step instructions:
- Open the dialog box «Footnotes ».
Open the "Footnote" dialog box
- Press the button «Replace ».
Press the "Replace ..." button
- From the list of transformation options, select the one you need, then click «OK ».
We choose the option that we need, click "OK"
Now that you know the procedure for adding footnotes, it should greatly facilitate your work in the Microsoft Word program. Footnotes are useful for books and necessary for scientific articles. If something has not happened, we recommend re-reading the article again.
Read also an article - "How to make numbering pages in a Word from 3 pages."
Video - How to put a footnote in the Word
Did you like the article? Save not to lose!
In the process of creating a text document, it may be necessary to use footnotes to explain the values of individual words or terms.
Especially often a footnote is needed when writing abstracts, reports, scientific articles or diploma works.
Sometimes the Word text editor users create a footnote manually, but this approach requires a lot of time and not very correct. Since in the Word there is special tools. In this article we will tell about how to make a footnote in Word 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016.
How to make a footnote at the bottom of the page in Word 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016
If you use the Word Text Editor 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016, then in order to make a footnote you need to install the cursor to the place to which your footnote should refer to, go to the "Links" tab and click on the "Paste footnote" button. After that, a footnote will appear at the bottom of the page and you can enter the text you need.
You can also make a footnote at the end of the document. This is done in the same way. You set the cursor in the required place, go to the "Links" tab and click on the "Insert End Footnote" button.
If necessary, you can customize the appearance of the footnotes in your document. To do this, click on the small button to the right of the "Footnote" block on the Links tab.
After that, a window will open with the footnings settings.
Here you can change the location of the footnotes (from the bottom of the text or at the bottom of the document), as well as the format for the numbering of footnotes (numbering by numbers, letters, Arab numbers, etc.). In order to change the settings, do not forget to click on the "Apply" button before close the window.
How to make a footnote in Word in 2003
In Word in 2003, footnotes are made a little differently. To do this, you need to install the cursor in the place to which the footnote should refer, open the menu "View - Link" and choose a "Footnote" item there.
After that, a window will appear on the screen with the footnote settings in Word in 2003. As in more modern Word versions, here you can change the footpath location and its format. For example, in order to insert the usual footnote, you must select the position of the footnote "bottom of the page" and click on the "Insert" button.
If the footnote should be located at the end of the document, select the position of the footnote position "at the end of the document".
After selecting all the desired settings, click on the "Insert" button. As a result, a footnote will appear in the document in which the text can be entered.
In conclusion, we offer you some useful fees for working with footnotes in the Word text editor:
- If the footnote is no longer needed, then you can delete it. To do this, just remove the footnote marker that you have placed in the text.
- Changing twice the mouse over the marker footnote at the bottom of the page, you can quickly move to the point of the document where this footnote was installed.
- You can start the numbering of footnotes from any number.
- On the Links tab, there is the "Next Footnote" button with which you can quickly move to the next footnote in the document.
- On the "Links" tab, there is a button "Show footnotes" with its help you can quickly move to the footnotes at the end of the text, sheet or document.
- Footnotes settings can be applied not only to the entire document, but also to separate sections.
How to make a footnote in the Word, how to make a footnote in the course
How to make and remove Word footnotes
Good day, dear readers of my blog! In touch Fedor Lykov. Today I will tell you how to make a footnote in the Word.
As you managed to notice, we are all deeper and deeper in the most popular program for editing and creating documents. Today's article will not be an exception.
Definition and purpose
Footnote is something like notes to explain some word or phrase. It can both complement and explain certain points. For example, they are often used in books to explain moments, phrases or some other language expressions.
Looks like a small figure after the word from above, which makes a reference to the phrase or word. An explanation for it will, as a rule, at the bottom of the page or at the end of the text itself.
Used so that the reader is not distracted by the main thought of individual proposals and could focus on the context. Often, the need for footnotes occurs at the bottom of the page in the course work or during the design of other scientific works.
As always, I will explain in detail and easily. It is worth noting that we will consider the method of both new offices (2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019), as well as the older edition of 2003. So, do not delay more on the preface and proceed to the point!
How to make a callout at the end of the page on the modern version of Office
First of all, I propose to consider more relevant Editions of Office, ranging from 2007, ending 2019. This instruction will be universal for each of these versions. The instruction for the 2003 office will be immediately after this.
So, first you need to open a document. After that, it is necessary: to highlight the text on which we will refer. Or simply move the cursor to the place of the future footnote and press the left mouse button into this place.
After that, we pay attention to the top panel of the program window. We need the Links tab and click the "Insert footnote" button.
After the actions done, we will see that the program added a feather digit and automatically transferred us to the end of the page in order to introduce an explanation.
When adding a description, there is no need to flip into the end of a sheet or document to see it. When you hover on the number number you will see its description in the pop-up message.
If you need to add more callouts, you just do everything in the same way. New numbers will be added to the already existing.
This is already enough to answer the question how to make a footnote in Word 2010 at the bottom of the page. This instruction was suitable for adding them only to the end of the page, so let's now consider the method of adding references to the explanation at the end of the document.
How to make a call at the end of the document on the modern version of Office
So, the reference to the explanation at the end of the text is called "end footnote". To add it, you must do the same things as in the previous paragraph. Similarly, we allocate the text to which it is necessary or set the cursor to this place and click the left mouse button.
Go to the "Links" tab at the top of the document and click the "Insertion Footnote" button.
After these actions, the program will move us to the last page of the document input.
These were the main actions, but there are more flexible and detailed options, so let's consider them.
Detailed setup setup
If you need to configure more detailed parameters, we can refer to the settings window. Let's see how to do it.
We need to set the cursor again or highlight the text, and after contacting the "Links" tab, but this time you will need to click on the small arrow in the "Footnote" module. I show in detail on the screenshot.
After clicking on this arrow, the settings window will open before.
Looking at this window we will be able to set parameters in more detail, namely:
- In the "Position" module you can choose the position of the calls
- In the "Format" module, you can define the numbering type you need or select the marking symbol. You can also select whether to continue their numbering in all sections or you must restart on each page or in each section.
- In the "Apply Changes" module, you choose in which place the document you need to apply these parameters - in the entire document or only in the current section.
After selecting the parameters you need using the context menu, click on the "Insert" button and admire the settings you apply.
Let's now consider how to remove unnecessary references to explanations.
Editing the doors
What if you need to remove unnecessary callouts? Everything is simple. To do this, simply select the one that you want to remove and click on the "Backspace" keyboard (key to erase the entered characters) or "Delete".
After removal, the numbers of others will be updated with the remote. Pay attention to the first screenshot and on the call to the number "2". After that, take a look at the screenshot below to understand how this system works.
On this we finished considering the setting and adding callouts on modern versions of the office. Now let's look at how to do it on the older.
How to make a call on the 2003 version of the office
As we remember, in the 2003 version of the Word of the advanced graphical interface, and all options are located in multiple pop-ups. Adding calls is no exception.
To begin with, just like in previous cases, we allocate the necessary text or set the cursor to the desired place and click the left mouse button.
After that, we appeal to the top of the application window and find the "Insert" menu and press the left mouse button. In it, select the item "Link", bring it on it the cursor and then click the left button on the team "Footnote".
The settings window already familiar to us will open.
Unlike a more modern version, in the 2003 edition, all settings are made only in this window, regardless of the position of the future callout. I do not see sense to repeat what settings are located in this window. If you missed, then scroll down a little higher, where I painted every item in detail.
After selecting the necessary parameters, click on the "Paste" button and check the presence of a new one on the place put on it. That we learned how to make a footnote in the Word 2003.
Today in this publication we have learned how to create footnotes for additional explanations of our text. It was understood that there are also different, which are distinguished by the location of the explanation in the document.
|Type of footnotes||Location in the text||Purpose|
|Normal||At the end of the page||For explanatory text notes, decryption|
|Terminal||At the end of the document or partition||For references to literature|
Now after reading this article, you should become more clear how to make a footnote in Word. I hope that it was interesting and most importantly understandable. Have questions? Leave your comments, after which I will try to delve into your problem and solve it. Thank you for reading the article to the end!
Wait for the following publications, and today we have everything. Good and goodbye to you!
Sincerely, author of Blog Fedor Lykov!
Conventional and end footnotes allow you to explain or comment on a specific fragment of the document or add the required link. As a rule, conventional footnotes are located at the bottom of the page, and the end - at the end of the document or partition.
If you are in read mode, switch to edit mode by selecting the command Change Document Word on the Internet Change in Word on the Internet .
Adding a footnote
Click in the place where you need to add a footnote.
Select items Insert > Insert a footman.
Word will insert a footnote sign into the text and add it at the bottom of the page.
Enter the text of the footnote.
Adding an end footnote
Click in the place where you need to add a terminal footpath.
Select items Insert > Insert a trace footman .
Word will insert the sign of the end footnote into the text and add it at the end of the document.
Enter the text of the terminal footpath.
Configuring conventional and end footnotes
Below is described how to configure the usual or end footnote.
Click the Number or footnote mark in the main text or select items. Insert> Show Footnotes (For the end footnote, select items Paste> Show end footnotes ).
In the representation of conventional or end footnotes, select the menu item. Format footnotes or Format of end footnotes to open the dialog box Format parameters where you can choose the size, font and indent for one or all of your conventional and end footnotes.
Note: If you want to convert conventional footnotes to the end or vice versa, click Open in Word. And use Word for this. When you save the document in Word, it will be saved where you opened it in Word on the Internet.
Note: This page is automatically translated, so its text may contain inaccuracies and grammatical errors. It is important for us that this article be useful to you. Was the information useful? For convenience, also give a link to the original (in English).
When working with large documents in Word (diplomas, abstracts, scientific publications, etc.), it is often necessary to make explanatory footnotes to the text (terms, literature, etc.). Talk about How to create a footnote in the Word, what are the footnotes, how can you change their parameters, and also tell you how to view all the footnotes immediately in the document and how can you remove the footnote?
Put like I. subscribe to the channel - It stimulates :)
What is a footnote in the Word?
Footnote - This is an explanatory text to the word, the phrase, made at the end of the page or at the end of the document, is placed under the line. The Word program has the concepts of "Note", "links", but it is not related to footnote.
Read other articles:
There are two types of footnotes. - Ordinary (stand at the bottom of the page), and end (posted at the end of the section or the entire document).
In one document, both types of footnotes are admissible. The footnote consists of a digit or symbol that the word needs notes directly in the text, and text information explaining the selected word, which is located either at the bottom of the page, or at the end of the document in the overall list of footnings.
How to add, make the usual footnote to Word?
To add to the footnote document, follow these steps:
1. In the open document window, go to the "Links" tab.
2. Put the text entry cursor after the word to which you want to add a footnote, in my example, to the word "elements".
3. In the "Footnotes" group, click on the "Insert footnote" button.
4. A footpit mark appears near the selected word (by default it is a digit), and the text input cursor will automatically move to the footnote area located under the text of the page and separated from the test field with a horizontal line.
5. Type the text that explains the footnings, or insert the copied information there.
6. To return to work with the main text, click in the right place of the page.
How to change the footnings settings?
To Change footnote to Word It is enough to perform the actions listed below:
1. In the open document window, go to the "Links" tab.
2. In the group "Footnotes" click on the "Footnote" button.
3. In the "Footnotes" window in the "Position" group in the "Footnote" column, we set the location of the footnotes on the page - at the bottom of the page or at the bottom of the text (at the end of the document, section).
4. In the "Format" group in the format column, we choose the type of footnings numbering - Arabic or Roman numbers, as well as Latin letters.
5. If you need to use a non-standard icon to designate the footnotes, click on the "Symbol" button.
6. In the "Symbol" window, select the desired symbol and click on the "OK" button.
7. After that, in the window "Other" window, a new selected character will appear.
8. In the "Start with" point, we set the initial digit to designate the footnote. The default is "1".
9. If necessary, have a separate numbering of footnotes on each page or in each section in the "Numbering" paragraph, open the list and select:
- "Continue" - a solid continuous numbering of footnotes will be used in the document;
- "In each section" - in the document will be used separate for each section of the numbering of footnotes;
- "On each page" - in the document will be used separate for each page the numbering of footnotes.
10. Close the "Apply" button.
How to view footnotes in the document sequentially and all at once?
In order to control and see all the footnotes immediately in Word document, we use the proposed ways to view the footnotes.
1 way: Sheets of document pages and look at the designation of footnotes in the text and the corresponding footnotes at the bottom of the page. The method is very laborious and ineffective.
1. In the open document window, go to the "Links" tab.
2. In the "Footnote" group, click on the "Next Footnote" button.
3. In the "Next Footnote" menu in the list:
- the item "Next footnote" - to move to the next one along the footpath;
- Point "Previous Footnote" - to move to the previous one along the footpath.
4. The selected footnote is activated, and the text input cursor flashes.
1. Navigate to the document viewing mode, which is called a webpage, view - web page
2. Select the "Display" command To do this, follow: Links - show footnotes.
How to view the contents of the footnote in the document next to the word?
To quickly read the text of the desired footnote, it is necessary:
1. In the open document window to hover the cursor on the footnote icon in the text and hold it a bit.
2. In the pop-up window, the test contained in the footnote is displayed.
How to edit the contents of the footnote?
To quickly make adjustments to the text of the desired footnote, you can use one of the ways listed below.
1. In the open document window, twice click on the footnote icon in the document text.
2. The text entry cursor is automatically activated in the selected footnote field.
3. We introduce adjustments to the text of the footnote.
Note. Footnotes text formatted and edited as well as ordinary text.
1. In the open document window, click on the text of the footnote at the bottom of the page.
2. Imagine adjustments to the text of the footnote.
How to add a terminal footpath?
To add an end footnote to a document, follow these steps:
1. In the open document window, go to the Link tab.
2. Put the text entry cursor to the place where the end footnote should be located.
3. In the "Footnotes" group, click on the "Insert Terminal" button.
4. The footnote mark will appear near the selected word (by default it is a digit), and the text entry cursor will automatically move to the footnote area located at the very end of the document in a special peak of footnotes.
5. Type the text that explains the footnings, or insert the copied information there.
To quickly return to work with the main text to the place of entering the last footnote, click the footnote number.
1. In the open document window, put the text entry cursor to the place where the end footnote should be located.
2. Use Keyboard keys Alt + Ctrl + D .
How to remove a footnote in the document?
To remove a footnote in the document, sufficient:
1. In the open document window, highlight the footnote icon in the text.
2. Press the Delete key.
Important: The footnote will delete completely if you set the text cursor precisely before footpath in the text and press DEL. If you delete only the explanatory text at the bottom of the page, then the footnote itself (in the form of a number or other symbol) will "hang" near the word in the document.
After removing the footnote near the word, the entire explanatory text at the end of the page (partition, document) will also be deleted.
So we considered almost all the material on footnotes, but users often have questions when working with them, which I will tell you in the next article.